As companies move to the “Talent Cloud,” the future of teamwork will be challenged.
Conference calls fail. Consider a recent study by Intercall, which revealed what people are doing while on conference calls. Yikes!
This segues nicely into the obligatory “some of the stranger places respondents admitted to being while also on the line with their coworkers” section of the survey’s findings:
- “In the middle of the woods during a hiking trip”
- “Outside while grilling and getting a tan”
- “The tunnel leading to NYC”
- “A truck stop bathroom”
- “McDonald’s Playplace”
- “Behind a church during a wedding rehearsal”
- “The racetrack”
- “At a pool in Las Vegas”
- “Fitting room while trying on clothes”
- “The closet of a friend’s house during a party”
- “Hospital ER”
- “Chasing my dog down the street because she got out of the house”
A better solution is video-conference or video chat. Be it a formal system or simply Skype, Zoom or FaceTime, you’ll be remarkable results.
Sure, there’s learning curve, but you have no choice: Make the leap to video communications and make every conference call “fight for its life!”
For those who attended Upwork’s Work Without Limits summit, my presentation deck is parked here.